Throop Learning Centre provides a student focused learning environment for those students who find themselves unable to access their schooling in their mainstream school at a particular time in their education for a variety of reasons.
We are a small friendly unit, a few miles from the other Tregonwell Academy Campuses, which aims to promote the nurturing environment that these students require at these times in their lives. These needs could be:-
- An illness and needing recovery time,
- An operation which causes a safety issue being in a bustling populated place such as their mainstream school,
- An anxiety problem resulting in it being difficult for the student to attend a large mainstream school,
- Medical conditions which may prevent them from being in school for a period of time,
- Pregnancy which is a safety issue in a busy school
Referral to Throop Learning Centre is made by a consultant and is supported by the student’s school and any other professionals that they may be involved with. Initially, places are offered for a fixed period of time (approximately half a term, 6-8 weeks). After which each student’s situation is reviewed and their needs considered with all the professionals involved in their current situation, to decide if, how and when they are ready to return to mainstream or progress to the next phase of their education or life. This integration/re-integration may need to take place over a period of time to allow them a smooth and stress free transition.